Homeowner’s Insurance – Covers termites doesn’t it?
I get this question a lot and the answer is pretty straight forward – NO. To my knowledge I know of no homeowner policy which covers damage from termites and to my knowledge I know of NO policy which covers pest of any kind. I’m aware of only one policy which was created for Bed Bug issues from the stand point of hotels/motels.
Here are some favorite quotes on termites…
“Termites – it’s only a matter of time” or “Termites – not IF but when” or “There are only two kinds of homes, those with termites and those waiting to get get them”
- Have an inspection done yearly if you live in the South.
- Walk around your home and check the foundation. Check the roof line for Bees.
- Don’t allow stucco to go beneath stone or dirt, you always want an open foundation to see termites tubes.
- Don’t plant trees to close to the home.
- Don’t install sheds or buildings to close to the house.
- Don’t allow sprinklers to hit the home or foundation.
- When in doubt call a professional, often times an inspection is free http://www.pestworld.org