What are some ways to discourage insects trying to enter your home?
One of the things that Pest Management Professionals try to utilize are IPM or Integrated Pest Management techniques. These basic ideas include using non-chemical methods to reduce the bug population around your home.
- This can be as simple as removing firewood from close to your home to maybe next to a block wall and making sure its not directly on the ground.
- Trimming trees to prevent ants and other crawling pests from just walking right on it.
- Using yellow lighting or sodium vapor lights on structures or businesses will help to reduce flying insects.
- Keeping stone or dirt away from the stucco of your home so you can clearly see the foundation.
- Sealing up any cracks and crevices where bugs love to hide, this may include those block wall bump-outs.
- Keep trash cans away from doors where people come and go often.
- Check your property often and stay ahead of the insects.