Archive for the ‘bugs’ Category
Sometimes you just have to wonder, OK I know some people (Nancy) don’t really care for spiders of any kind. “Firefighters: Man tries to kill spider, sets house on fire instead.”
Again I think the reporter missed the point on this one, did he get the spider? I think that is the important point here, what say you?
A few facts about Dry Rot:
- Dry rot is the common name for wood destroying fungus and despite its common name ir will generally attack damp timber.
- Dry rot will only affect timber that is damp, typically affecting timber with a moisture content in excess of 20%.
- Wood needs 4 things to decay; water, oxygen, food (wood), and favorable temperatures (40F – 015F).
- It is essential to understand that water is fundamental to the growth and survival of not only dry rot but all wood destroying fungi; wood decay cannot occur, exist or survive without it!
- Not all wood, wood siding, wood decking and wood trim made from cedar, redwood or other species famous for durability are if fact rot or decay resistant . As a side note termites will eat cedar, I’ve seen them in mulch.
Here are a few tips on honeybee swarms:
- Generally speaking a swarm such as the one above will move on in time, usually 24 hours.
- When a swarm happens the bees take in honey and are therefore less aggressive, don’t provoke them.
- A swarm will send scouts out to look for an new home.
- If they land on a tree, bush or fence give them some time. If they land on your house it is better to take care of it ASAP.
- By just looking at them it is impossible to determine if they are Africanized.
- Once they establish a hive or colony they will defend with their lives.
We don’t often talk about grasshoppers or locust but I would say that they would be considered occasional pests. Those pests that accidentally get into homes or businesses. Technically a locust is a grasshopper but not all grasshoppers are locusts. Locusts were once known as the Plague of the West and will eat almost anything in its path.
Keeping windows and doors shut will keep them out along with repairing window screens.