Posts Tagged ‘basement’
10 Common access points
While many entry points are not obvious, a few are. Let’s look at a quick checklist of the more common ones:
1. Under garage doors; where the door does not meet the concrete pad. Replace the seal.
2. Crawlspace vents; repair or replace if screens are ripped or vents broken.
3. HVAC penetrations; where HVAC refrigeration lines go through the foundation and around the unit itself.
4. Hose bibs; where water line goes through foundation or wall.
5. Under first course of siding; occasionally you’ll find an opening between the sill plate and footer.
6. Door frames; openings between door frame and structure.
7. Plumbing vent cover missing or broken; reinstall or replace.
8. Under entry way doors; adjust or replace door sweep.
9. Wire/cable through wall or foundation; seal around opening.
10. Basement and crawlspace doors; seal all openings.
This information taken from an article in B&G EquipNet Technical Newsletter November 2011 by William H. Robinson, Ph.D
I would also like to state a few others that we all should be aware of:
- Never stack firewood against the house, it will attract pest including rodents, spiders and ocassional pests.
- Window screens.
- Weep holes, screens in place or repaired.
- No trees touching the home.