Posts Tagged ‘bed bugs’
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr I was in Washington D.C. this month and it was freezing. I was in the Jefferson Memorial and in walked this kid with shorts on, I had to ask and yes he was from Vermont. He has Maple syrup for blood, cause the wind was whipping off that little lake and I had a goretex jacket on. But anyway I just heard that Bed Bugs are on the increase in Alaska. “Bed Bugs are calling Alaska home at increasing numbers“.
So take care when traveling or letting folks stay at your home. Bed Bugs continue to impact libraries and hotels are alarming rates.
Recently I stayed at a motel and as always I check the room, these are a few of the ways I protect myself. No sense bringing something home that you hadn’t planned on.
Some do’s and some don’ts…
Do – hang your clothes on shower rods and place luggage in bathroom. I just leave my clothes in the bathroom, helps with the wrinkles and I have never brought home pests.
Don’t place on bed, chairs or dresser – if bed bugs are in the furniture it is important not to allow them to come home.
By the no bed bugs were present, they must know who they are dealing with…
I’m not trying to scare anyone but this Bed Bug thing continues, yes we are still getting calls weekly about these little biters. So really what is the answer, I just want to amke sure sure you are informed. Visit National Pest Management Association (NPMA) for all things bed bugs.
They are showing up at weird and unexpected places. Sometimes we become detectives in learning how and when they arrived at the place in question. This story out of Nebraska just goes to show where they may or may not pop in from “Claim denied for Bed Bug removal” the claimant believes his daughter picked them up from a 4-H camp.
IPM or “Integrated Pest Management is a process involving common sense and sound solutions for treating and controlling pests. These solutions incorporate three basic steps: 1) inspection, 2) identification and 3) treatment. Treatment options vary from sealing cracks and removing food and water sources to pesticide treatments when necessary.”
Bed Bugs and you – TIPS
- Encasements keep the bed bugs trapped inside the mattress or box springs until they die if missed during the initial treatment.
- Prevent bed bugs from hiding inside beds, making an infestation harder to find and treat.
- Offers a first line of defense to stop bed bugs, even before they have been detected by you.
Encasements are a valuable tool to homeowners and people who either travel or have guest stopping by often. Encasements will also help to make that mattress or box spring last a little longer.
I think all of us remember that now famous issue with the very HOT coffee incident years ago, but a little information just as a reminder. A lady ordered coffee at a fast food restaurant and put if between her legs and it spilled or the cup broke anyway HOT coffee in her lap.
First off – Don’t put hot coffee between your legs, I would think that goes without saying! But apparently not. Well here is another one of those stories.
“Lawsuit: Bedbugs cost H-F Coach her Dreadlocks.” So anyway here is my take on this issue.
- Bed Bugs DON’T live on humans. Lice do but not Bed Bugs.
- It sounds like the hotel, responded to the complaint next door and it sounds like they inspected adjacent rooms. Good Job. (I’m only reading a report of the incident, I wasn’t there.)
- With all the talk of Bed Bugs everyone should be aware of these little bugs.
- I’ve mentioned this before, Don’t Panic – don’t throw away mattresses and I see no reason to cut your hair. I know the creep factor is involved but come on, let’s not go overboard. $50,000 lawsuit see this is why we need Tort Reform. (my opinion)
I gave a talk years ago on Exceptional Customer Service – Do you know why all those items we use daily have warnings on them? Superman costume – not equipped to actually fly, lawnmower – do not place hands under mower when mower is operating, its because someone did it? I do realize we all do some dumb stuff but shouldn’t we really take responsibility for our own actions? So what do you think?
THINK BEFORE YOU DO SOMETHING!