Posts Tagged ‘bee stings’
What is Anaphylactic shock?
Anaphylaxis is a severe, whole-body allergic reaction to a chemical that has become an allergen. After being exposed to a substance such as bee sting venom, the person’s immune system becomes sensitized to it. It is estimated that more than 400 people die each year in the U.S. from bee stings. This reaction can lead to difficulty breathing and shock ultimately leading to death.
- A single bee sting, for example, may not cause an allergic reaction the first time.
- Another bee sting may produce a sudden, severe allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock.
Experts say that between 1% to 15% of the US population is at risk of having an anaphylactic reaction if exposed to at least one allergen – they add that these figures vary according to various definitions of a reaction. Approximately 1% of those with anaphylaxis may consequently die.
Only a very limited portion of the population (one or two out of 1000) is allergic or hypersensitive to bee or wasp stings. The average person can safely tolerate 10 stings per pound of body weight. This means that although 500 stings could kill a child, the average adult could withstand more than 1100 stings.
If you are unsure – call 911 immediately or Poison Control 1-888-222-1222 for more information.
You know those stories – the ones that say I never should have done that. Well here is one – call a professional (Bees can and will turn nasty really fast). DON’T TAKE A CHANCE – we almost always wear bee suits and have all of the equipment necessary if they turn nasty.
“Thanks to ABC15 PHOENIX Reported by: Brent Roulier Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Last Update: 3:37 pm
Read the entire story here:
BEE SAFE! Call ProBest Pest Management 480-831-9328
By Elizabeth Landau – CNNhealth.com Read the rest here: CNN
“(CNN) — Known for building skate parks and shaping the skateboarding scene in New York, Andy Kessler, 48, died this week after an allergic reaction to an insect sting, friends and family told news media.”
Use caution, if you are allergic to bee stings always carry your medicine with you and immediately call 911