Posts Tagged ‘beetles’
I know, I know you probably don’t want you want to hear about it, but I’m here to past along the stories that are in the news about bugs. So if you tasted the coffee and thought there was a different taste, maybe its the bugs.
Whenever you place wood directly on the ground, you are inviting termites and other creatures to that area. It is always better to place firewood or any wood for that matter on blocks or pavers. Ideally having wood stored just for one season at a time is best, there is less chance of buildup of pests in general. But as always – please wear gloves and only take into the structure what you are going to use immediately. If it is cold and you warm up the wood, the insects living inside may try to come out and infest the home. So here are a few Quick Tips:
- Always place firewood or wood on blocks or pavers rather than directly on ground.
- Keep that wood pile away from the home.
- Always wear gloves moving wood.
- Store only the wood you will use that season.
- Only bring in enough wood to use that day.
One of the high lights of my career is when I’m asked to identify a bug, to each his own but I enjoy that part of the job. A guy pops into our office with this little critter and its up to me to identify and possible deduce where it came from and out to control it.
So here are the clues – its a larva, usually they do the damage. Notice the hairs, its important. How about those hairs on the end, its really important. So did you guess right – its a carpet beetle larva. The hairs on the end or butt are the extremely important clue, hope you did well but if you didn’t you always have me.
Send me a picture to Blog@callprobest.com
Do me a favor don’t smooosh it to bad, it makes it difficult when they are way bigger than normal.
What is up with flies and dead things?
- The life cycle of flies play an important role in the decomposition of dead bodies and in nature this is how dead animals etc are turned back into soil and nutrients.
- It’s not just flies but beetles and other bugs help to turn flesh into soil nutrients.
- Blow flies are most often associated with dead things.
- Blow flies can find dead flesh within minutes.
- A fly maggot mass can reduce the body weight of a dead animal by 50% in a few weeks.
- The study of this is called Forensic Entomology and concerns the time and manner of death.
For many years researchers have used pheromones to lure insects into glue boards or catch devices. They are really isolating these chemicals that are found in the specific insects used for mating purposes. What the guys don’t know is that its a trap. “Female Asian Longhorned Beetles pheromone may be key to pest management” Caution sex pictures when you click that link… made you look.
The researchers found that when the proper ratio and amount of pheromone is produced by females and deposited on the surface where they walk, signaling that they are fertile, males come.
So some type of fungus, trap or glue-board could be used to kill males or females and this could possibly help to control certain beetles which damage trees. Science is producing some great and innovative ways to combat certain pests.