Posts Tagged ‘GreenPro’
As Kermit the Frog has said numerous times “It ain’t easy being Green”. The trend over the last 10 years or more is to lean against the use of pesticides unless it is absolutely needed and I agree. Now with that said, I do believe that pesticides are needed. Numerous people die every year from diseases brought on by vectors like mosquitoes or fleas. Along with that number are the people that are stung or biten by things like scorpions, bees and spiders.
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is the protocol of using tools to stop the pests from gaining entry before using pesticides. It still allows the use of pesticides but after using those tools to keep them out. Examples of this include home-sealing, eliminating hiding spaces and rocks on your property and installing or updating garage or door thresholds/door sweeps.
“Rodents winning New York City rat race, but humans are fighting back.” I have to tell you I get a bit frustrated when I hear these remarks. If you have been ready this blog you know I’m a advocate for Integrated Pest Management or IPM but sometimes that takes into account the use of pesticides.
I’m constantly talking with people about inside and/or outside service, I switched many years ago to an outside service program. I spend just as much time on the outside as I did doing both inside/outside. There isn’t the need with a few exceptions of performing inside service. So here is my approach:
- On calling the customer, they have an opportunity to tell me about any interior issues.
- Upon arrival for their service, I ask if they have any issues.
- I always walk around with a webber broom, gives me a chance to look the home over before I begin the service.
- I’m a technology minded service provider, I investigate and try the new products. This is often done in cooperation with the Pest Control Industry Manufacturers.
- Example: I went to a home a month ago, another company had been treating this home for German Roaches for 2 years and they still had them (they were spraying only). I used Avert dry bait as a crack & crevice product – this month the owner advised me that he had seen one about a week and a half ago but none lately. NOTE: this is what you pay me for – I know bugs and how to get rid of them…… Its about knowledge.
- There are a few occasions when you must use products inside homes, yes I know there are people out there that think there are do it yourself products or GREEN products that will rid your home of everything. In my opinion some work but many just won’t last long enough.
- Many schools are getting on the IPM program and if it good enough for our children and our schools why wouldn’t it be good enough for your home. Just think about this, every time you use a compressed sprayer within your home you are releasing a pesticide within your airspace – is that good? Just face the facts IPM is the way of the future.
PESPWire is a quarterly electronic newsletter featuring news and information of interest to PestWise members, partners and pesticide community stakeholders. This PESPWire issue covers a variety of topics, from IPM for Pigeons to EPA Supports IPM in Arizona.
I would personally like to thank two of our clients – Precious Treasures Childcare and Liberty Wildlife for their contribution to this informative article concerning Integrated Pest Management or IPM. I would also like to thank the EPA for this article and their work with IPM.
Here is my idea of Green Pest Service
Everything we do starts with Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- We do an inspection, we walk around the home with a webster broom and clean off window and doors of any spider webs. At this time we are doing a cursory exam of the home and property.
- We perform an outside service which may include a liquid treatment, granular bait – either a repellent or a bait depending on activity.
- We then use a bellows duster to dust block wall bump-outs and crack and crevices which haven’t been sealed. Usually this is a mixture of DE and some type of active formulation dust.
We will treat inside only if there are bug issues within the home and very limited in the scope. (Stored Pantry Pests)
***** Now some would argue that this isn’t a true GREEN service, but we have scorpions and it is almost impossible to kill them all. So the question is, what if I have never seen a scorpion. Can I get a Green service?
Yes there are many items on the list of Green, just remember that they won’t generally last as long as the other products. Now this isn’t to put blame anywhere but some products we use are micro-encapsulated and hold up better with the sunlight and HEAT in Arizona. So here is the BIGGEST question, does it cost more? Yes and no, yes if you want me to handle any callbacks and no if you don’t. The chemical won’t go the 30, 60 or 90 days that most people want it to last.
Oh by the way, some of these so called Green products – contain pesticides like permethrin. So, really check out what you want and if you have questions send me an email at email@example.com and maybe I can help you decide on what is right for you and your family. What is the number #! thing you can do = home sealing.
A recent article “Global Pest Control Services Market: Trends and opportunities (2013-2018)“. talks about the growing trend in green type pest control.
My concern is that most people truly don’t understand what makes green GREEN. What is organic and what makes a service green is open to debate. My definition of Green may just be Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and ProBest strives to do this everyday. We promote the use of less pesticide inside, while doing everything we can from the outside – to keep pests out. If you can keep out the pests and keep down their food, this might equal less pests getting into your home or business.
So if you need a Green service – find out what the pest company considers GREEN or better yet check out a GreenPro company :