What is up with flies and dead things?
- The life cycle of flies play an important role in the decomposition of dead bodies and in nature this is how dead animals etc are turned back into soil and nutrients.
- It’s not just flies but beetles and other bugs help to turn flesh into soil nutrients.
- Blow flies are most often associated with dead things.
- Blow flies can find dead flesh within minutes.
- A fly maggot mass can reduce the body weight of a dead animal by 50% in a few weeks.
- The study of this is called Forensic Entomology and concerns the time and manner of death.