Wolf spiders are one of the fastest spiders, at least from my point of view. These arachnids have excellent eyesight and hunt down their prey. They don’t build webs and hunt alone. I have seen some about 2 inches, which is big enough for me. I’m not a BIG fan of spiders in general. These spiders are hairy and when their young are born they climb up on Mom’s back until old enough to fend for themselves. There are about 124 species of Wolf Spiders in the US and range in color from brown to black. They are venomous and usually use the venom to attack their prey, they can bite humans if they feel threatened and may react if squeezed or mishandled. So please wear gloves gardening and working in sheds and garages. Remember spiders eats lot of bugs and are considered good.
So what do you so to prevent running into them:
- Keep the clutter down, interior and exterior.
- All screens should be in place.
- Keep doors sweeps in place, and closed.
- If you store boxes in attics, open them outside or in garages.
- Keep bushes, plants away from house.
- Trees should not touch the house.
- Cut down on lighting, but if you must have lights use yellow bulbs. This will keep the prey at bay.