Earwigs and the real facts:
I remember as a kid watching the Twilight Zone and being freaked out by the Episode 60 where the earwing gets inside somebodies ear. (Not sure this link will work for everybody – Hulu) – I was scared to death with this story. Then came star Trek with that giant weird looking earwig thing being put into Chekov’s ear.
- Earwig received its name due to the myth the earwig would crawl into your ear if you slept on the ground.
- Those weird looking things on their tail are used as weapons, against smaller insects.They are practically harmless to humans.
- Noctural, hunting at night.
- Eat both live and dead plant material and insects.
- There is no real evidence that they transmit disease or harm humans or animals, despite their nickname pincher bug.
- Earwigs also have two penises! Both are larger than it’s body and if it needs the second one just in case one of them snaps off!