You know that old adage about the mechanic that never fixes his own car, cause he’s so busy or the pest control operator that never practices what he preaches – not me by the way. But by allowing that tree or bush to touch your home you may allow the ants to come into your home by the the millions.
That colony could have lived in that tree for years, never attempting to go into your home but that new highway just afforded them that option. In their social hierarchy, some members forage for food and if they come across a new source like your kitchen it could all be over for your peaceful setting. They will take some food and make their way home leaving a pheromone trail for others to follow.
Did you know?
- There could be 1 million in their colony, maybe more.
- There are 1 million ants per person on Earth.
- All those ants you see are female.
- They have great eyesight but their antenna’s are the thing that really helps them in finding food.
- They live about 45 – 60 days but probably have lived on Earth for over 1oo billion years. Queens may live 30 years.
- If you weighed all the ants it would be more than all the humans. WOW, right?
- The Maricopa Harvester ant is the most venomous insect on Earth and guess where it lives? Clue is Maricopa… and it’s sting is equal to 12 bee stings.
- The Red Imported Fire Ant in Florida builds rafts to float during massive rain storms.
- Their worst enemy is ProBest technicians, no just kidding but it’s other ants. Our technicians are good at what they do, but remember the ants are always on guard against intruders.
- They can make their nest almost anywhere, don’t make it easy for them. Think about the types of landscape and decorations you place around your home.