Wood destroyers, including termites and wood rot can play havoc on your home. Whenever you place wood directly on the ground, you are inviting termites and other creatures to that area. It is always better to place firewood or any wood for that matter on blocks or pavers. Ideally having wood stored just for one season at a time is best, there is less chance of buildup of pests in general. But as always – please wear gloves and only take into the structure what you are going to use immediately. If it is cold and you warm up the wood, the insects living inside may try to come out and infest the home. So here are a few Quick Tips:
- Always place firewood or wood on blocks or pavers rather than directly on ground.
- Keep that wood pile away from the home.
- Always wear gloves moving wood.
- Store only the wood you will use that season.
- Only bring in enough wood to use that day.