Posts Tagged ‘stung’
Allergies can really be disrupting to your life, but there may be some comfort coming soon. “New cure for deadly insect allergies?” Last week I also ran “New data suggests that insect sting allergy is increasing.”
I’ve also heard that eating local raw honey may help as well. Can’t hurt, right!
I was asked this question again the other day and I finally found someone that I think has the best answer. I found this article “Why do scorpions glow inn the dark (and could their whole body be one big eye)? by Ed Yong 12/23/2011
But Douglas Gaffin from the University of Oklahoma has a more intriguing idea. He thinks that scorpions glow to convert the dim UV light from the moon and the stars into the colour that they see best – blue-green.
In 2010, Carl Kloock found evidence for this idea. He overexposed scorpions to UV light to use up the fluorescing chemicals in their skin (which break down as they glow).
These photo’s are from a friend David, who by the way has a few around his home (actually he is pretty good at tracking them down).
Loud noises or vibrations, sometimes just the smell – maybe aftershave or cologne and for sure don’t throw things. Here is some information from WikiHow at http://www.wikihow.com/Escape-from-Killer-Bees with pictures.
An incident this last week in Tucson can remind us of the dangers that surround us. Children at an early stage should be instructed in what is good and what is bed in nature. That is one reason why Dr. Bug teaches a class at the Chandler Environmental Education Center.
We all need to bee aware in Arizona and pretty much all of the South U.S. This is an example of why, this picture is a water meter box and if you look close you will see honeybees going in and out of the entrance . What would happen if children were playing and ran across the lid, or fell on the meter box?
What would happen if you decided to check your water meter box and lifted the lid without seeing the bees, catastrophe well maybe? So please see the checklist below and use caution in and around your home!
- Check your home monthly especially in the Spring and Fall, check eaves and roof-line.
- Check your property, sheds and storage.
- Keep an eye out for meter boxes or electrical boxes.
- If a swarm enters your property and alights on a tree branch, wait – they may move. If they go to and from your home, then it is time to call.
- Remember bees don’t know a dog house from a tree.
- Remember if you decide to treat, you can’t call the bees back once they are excited and upset.
What is Anaphylactic shock?
Anaphylaxis is a severe, whole-body allergic reaction to a chemical that has become an allergen. After being exposed to a substance such as bee sting venom, the person’s immune system becomes sensitized to it. It is estimated that more than 400 people die each year in the U.S. from bee stings. This reaction can lead to difficulty breathing and shock ultimately leading to death.
- A single bee sting, for example, may not cause an allergic reaction the first time.
- Another bee sting may produce a sudden, severe allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock.
Experts say that between 1% to 15% of the US population is at risk of having an anaphylactic reaction if exposed to at least one allergen – they add that these figures vary according to various definitions of a reaction. Approximately 1% of those with anaphylaxis may consequently die.
Only a very limited portion of the population (one or two out of 1000) is allergic or hypersensitive to bee or wasp stings. The average person can safely tolerate 10 stings per pound of body weight. This means that although 500 stings could kill a child, the average adult could withstand more than 1100 stings.
If you are unsure – call 911 immediately or Poison Control 1-888-222-1222 for more information.