I’ll would bet that most people would say termites but not so, it turns out to be the desert locust. This locust you may recall is the one from the Bible and can eat its own weight in food a day. It is estimated that a large swarm could eat 20,000 tons of grain and vegetation per day. (“The Handy Biology Answer Book”)
In the U.S. I’m still betting on the termite, estmates suggest over 5 billon in damage each year. Termites are in search of food and when they find it they will eat and eat. 24/7/365 that is their schedule and they won’t waiver unless the building is under water.
What can you do to discourage termites from finding your home as a food source:
- Check water drip and irrigation systems to make sure they are working properly.
- Don’t plant plants or trees to close to the foundation of your home.
- Don’t allow stucco to come in contact with dirt or stone, you need to see the foundation.
- If you noticed any wood in the ground left over after construction, remove it.
- Don’t stack wood against the home.