Posts Tagged ‘911’
13 years have gone by since that fateful day September 11, 2001. I have had the privilege of visiting Ground Zero and the Pentagon and have been in awe of our resolute to carry on. Not only in our remembrance but in our commitment to persevere.
Here are a few pictures I took while visiting Washington D.C. this last February for National Pest Management Legislative Days.
Emergency bee calls are up in the Valley, honeybees have no idea what is a good place and where is the bad place. This call was right about 2 electronic doors and every time the door opened some bees flew in. A unique situation because they had this super big lobby area and there were bees everywhere inside and they weren’t happy. Here are a few facts to remember about swarm bees:
- Typically when they swarm they ingest lots of honey, usually they are more docile.
- They are not defending an actual hive yet, so again a little more docile – doesn’t mean that they can’t get agitated.
- Usually as warm lands and sends out scouts, once they find a suitable home they will usually leave.
- Bees at a water fountain are just there for water, lone bees will not attack unless you mess with them.
- If you are stung seek medical attention, especially if allergic. Call 911 or Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222.
“There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” John 15:13
Thanks to the soldiers, police and fire departments who serve each and every day to protect us. I’m reminded daily of the sacrifice made to defend our country. Freedom is not free, God Bless America and God Bless our Troops and those that protect us!
What is Anaphylactic shock?
Anaphylaxis is a severe, whole-body allergic reaction to a chemical that has become an allergen. After being exposed to a substance such as bee sting venom, the person’s immune system becomes sensitized to it. It is estimated that more than 400 people die each year in the U.S. from bee stings. This reaction can lead to difficulty breathing and shock ultimately leading to death.
- A single bee sting, for example, may not cause an allergic reaction the first time.
- Another bee sting may produce a sudden, severe allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock.
Experts say that between 1% to 15% of the US population is at risk of having an anaphylactic reaction if exposed to at least one allergen – they add that these figures vary according to various definitions of a reaction. Approximately 1% of those with anaphylaxis may consequently die.
Only a very limited portion of the population (one or two out of 1000) is allergic or hypersensitive to bee or wasp stings. The average person can safely tolerate 10 stings per pound of body weight. This means that although 500 stings could kill a child, the average adult could withstand more than 1100 stings.
If you are unsure – call 911 immediately or Poison Control 1-888-222-1222 for more information.