Rats and mice nomally can squeeze through small opening (mice – dime and rats – quarter), I think this guy just had a bad day. I suppose it ate some bait or got bit by something, cause it looks like it has some room to wiggle. Just a caution on mice/rats, rodents in general they have teeth and aren’t afraid to use them. They will gnaw on electrical wiring around pool pumps, car engines and equipment of all sorts. By the way this also goes for rabbits, they will also go after wiring. So what precautions can you take:
- Check you home monthly for signs of pests, I know I say it often but eventually you might listen to my advice.
- Check for holes or loose screening, including those weep holes at the roofline.
- If you see bees flying in and out, check it out but use caution.
- Don’t stack firewood against the house.
- Don’t let trees or bushes touch the house, super highway for rodents and ants.
- Have a Professional Termite company do an inspection for termites.