The success is IPM – Integrated Pest Management
We have often talked about IPM, and just to be clear it is Pest Control. Using all the tools at hand before you have to use pesticides. Technicians don’t prohibit the use, we just leave it for the end if the other techniques don’t work.
Here is an example – you have ants in the kitchen, you have sealed and caulked every possible opening along the entire wall and somehow they continue to get in. Furthermore you tried a pesticide outside (I suggest Termidor outside only) and that didn’t work either (you must understand the bug). So now the only option is to bait within the house, hide it in an area they frequent and bingo they are now gone. Use the tools and success, with minimal intrusion and pesticides. As a result most pesticides are useful, use them with caution and use as directed. Always play it safe read and understand the label.
Home-seal and prevention.
- Do a monthly check of your property.
- Seal any cracks or holes on the home, use caulking or steel wool if rodents are involved. Remember mice need a hole the size of a dime. Rats require something in the area of a quarter to gain entry. Seal it with steel or copper wool and calking or cement.
- Remove, replace any wood rot and seal it if possible.
- Keep trash receptacle closed and clean and away from house.
- Keep bushes, trees and vines away from the house.
- Keep wood trim painted or sealed to keep away pests.
- Keep water usage to a minimum, make sure you’re not collecting water in certain areas.
- If you have a crawlspace keep it clean and dry, always good to keep it ventilated as well.
- Once a year have a termite inspection done, they can also perform a pest inspection.
- When in doubt, or maybe you don’t understand the pest – time to hire a Professional.
Trackbacks for this post